DIARY ENTRY #5

 

Pforzheim, 17th September 2022

Upon reading a paragraph on biases in Wolcott's book, I decided to look into biases a little bit more, as I realized I had no real awareness of them. According to Wolcott, it is important to identify good "biases" (such as careers, personalities, and situations), as they constitute the essential starting place for our own research. To articulate on that, I can say that I am:

1. A professional dancer researching the professional and pre-professional dance world, so I cannot really step into the role of the "outsider".

2. I have a very extroverted and empathic personality, which could get me a little more involved in the topic than what is normally expected by a "detached researcher".

3. I am coming out of two injuries, and I have been super lucky to be in somewhat of an "ideal" condition for my injury recovery. I have to be aware that this is not the case for everyone, and that the support I received is NOT attainable as a student or as a freelance dancer. 

On biases, I also came across this quote:

"We often also make this same mistake when we rely on a small number of our experiences (sometimes as few as one) to draw more generalized conclusions. The experiences on which we base those generalizations are generally those that were associated with either very negative or very positive emotions. Of those, negative experiences tend to carry greater weight in our decision-making process". (Grawitch, 2020)

This quote made me think back to what I wrote in my research project proposal, as far as testing and monitoring in dance go. I had such an awful experience with them that even my ONE single bad experience created such a strong negative bias... that I still can't get over it after almost 15 years...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIARY ENTRY #2

Choosing a Topic & Developing a Research Question

DIARY ENTRY #3